switchboard operator/receptionist - typical job description duties
Job purpose outline (example): The primary objective of the Switchboard Operator is to answer a multi-line switchboard quickly (ideally within 3 ring cycles) and direct calls to their destination without delay. Greeting customers, answering questions, announcing calls or providing directions are secondary objectives. The key to the role is in always providing the primary objective whilst delivering the secondary objectives wherever possible but always in such a way that positively affects the customer's perception or call/visit experience. Outline duties:
- Answer a high volume of calls and maintain a rapid response rate according to agreed standards.
- Log information on calls received, where required and maintain detailed and accurate records.
- Maintain and update continuously, by local knowledge and by local means, a log of the availability of staff likely to receive inbound calls.
- File data and perform other routine clerical tasks as assigned and for other departments as needed.
- Order and maintain relevant office supplies for effectiveness of personal duties.
- Operate a variety of standard office machines, including a personal computer and a variety of computer software, phone, fax, calculator, shredding machine and photocopy machine.
- Communicate and liaise verbally and in writing between customers/suppliers/visitors/enquirers and relevant staff, and interpret and respond clearly and effectively to spoken requests over the phone or in person, and to verbal or written instructions.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with co-workers, supervisors and the general public.
- Perform reception duties in and efficient, professional and courteous manner.
- Maintain regular consistent and professional attendance, punctuality, personal appearance, and adherence to relevant health & safety procedures.
- Pursue personal development of skills and knowledge necessary for the effective performance of the role.